Ever been to a hotel that doesn’t use – onions, garlic, carrots, cauliflower, beetroot and even tomato!!
Located in the temple compound of Udupi Sri Krishna Temple complex – Mitra Samaj has been dishing out delicious vegetarian fare since 1949 and is often the 2nd-most visited place after the temple darshan 😀
While every part of Bengaluru sports atleast one ‘Udupi-restaurant’ – the authentic Udupi-cuisine is heavily-influenced by temple cooking methods of Udupi brahmins – infact the lineage of the families that run the best south-indian restaurants of Bengaluru such as MTR, Shivalli Restaurant, Brahmins Coffee Bar etc can be traced back to Udupi district.
Back to Mitra Samaj – they offer 2 menus:
- Morning menu of dosas, idlis, vada, pineapple ksheera (akin to kesari bath of Bengaluru), upma, mangalore buns etc
- Evening snacks in the form of goli-baje, button idli and more
Highly recommend: – vada sambar, masala dosa, mangalore buns, goli baje – washed down with atleast 2 cups of delicious filter coffee.
- While the restaurant is within the temple compound – one doesn’t have to remove footwear to reach or eat at Mitra Samaj
- Food is served with coconut chutney (tastes ok) and sambar (absolutely delicious) – be prepared for ‘why you wasting food’ kinda look – if you leave food on the table
- Mode of payment: cash-only (no card or digital wallet payment)
- Parking: No vehicles are allowed inside (unless you are a temple vendor or a big bureaucrat)
- Location: Mitra Samaj, Sri Krishna Temple Complex, Udupi [Google Maps Link]
- Timings: 6 am to 9:30 pm [all days of the week except – closed on Wednesday]
Mitra Samaj is the torch-bearer of authentic Udupi cuisine – the quality and simplicity of food is unrivaled by any other restaurant in the vicinity.