Over the last 15 years, vegetarian food in Bengaluru has witnessed a massive transformation – family-run ‘home-mess’ have become endangered, ‘tiffin-centres’ that fed the masses have given way to darshinis that aren’t pocket-friendly anymore and food is driven more by taste-makers/enhancers than fresh ingredients.
In the midst of this – since 2007 Shiva Prasad Tiffin Centre located in the quaint locality of Gavipuram in South Bangalore has been serving delicious fare of vegetarian breakfast and lunch – simple, delicious, homely and economical.
While the breakfast combo comprising rice-bath, shavige-bath, chow-chow bath, vada and chutney is the most-instagrammable item on the menu – mangalore buns, puri-sagu, thatte idly, bisi-bele bath, kesari bath are delicious and a must-try.
- There is no place to sit – tables to stand and eat are limited
- Self-service only
- Dosas (masala dosa, plain dosa, set dosa and onion dosa) are prepared and served only on Sundays (till 11 am only)
- Breakfast combo is available only between 7:30 am to 10 am only
- They don’t serve coffee or tea
- No regular/small-size idly – only the large-one (thatte idly)
- Mode of payment: cash and paytm (no other digital wallets or UPI)
- Parking: no dedicated parking for 2-wheelers and cars – however lots of by-lanes to find a spot
- Timings: Monday to Saturday (6 am to 4 pm) and Sunday (6 am to 11 am)
- Location: Shiva Prasad Tiffen Centre, Gavipuram, Bengaluru [Google maps link]
- Lunch menu (from 11:30 am – 12 pm onwards) – includes Ragi mudde, Anna-sambar, curd-rice, chapathi and parota
Shiva Prasad Tiffen Centre represents a slice of the bygone era of Bengaluru – where smiles, fresh ingredients were an intrinsic part of food, money was paid after eating and conversations started with “time estu” !!
Leave a Reply