In the 1980s, Bengaluru saw the rise of Andhra food with the pappu-led vegetarian meals and spicy biryanis by the likes of Nagarjuna, Nandhini, Nandhana and various other chain of Andhra restaurants. What’s relatively less known is – the foundation of this delicious Andhra food cuisine in Bengaluru happened in the 1970s by Hotel Annapoorna.
Located in the bylanes of Majestic – Hotel Annapoorna serves delicious and spicy Andhra food for vegetarians and non-vegetarians under a basic ambiance and easy on the pocket (compared to the popular Andhra chains).
For vegetarians: wholesome and unlimited Andhra Meals (led by delicious pappu, sambar, rasam, curd, array of curries and spicy chutney, papad and unlimited supply of white-rice and refreshing buttermilk)
More options for non-veg – highly recommend trying:
- Mutton & Chicken Biryani – served with curd-raitha and sherwa/salan gravy (their most popular food)
- Chicken 64 starter – delicious spicy boneless chicken fingers
- Chilli Chicken – semi-gravy, pieces of chicken with bone cooked in green chillies – must try for spicy food lovers
- Seafood – very limited and seasonal options – the Anjal Fry and Prawn Fry standout
- Ambiance is basic and there is no air-conditioning. Expect a waiting time of 10-20 mins on weekdays during lunch-time for a group of 4+
- Timings: 12 PM to 3:30 PM and 7 PM to 10:30 PM – all days of the week
- Location: Hotel Annapoorna, Gandhinagar, Bengaluru Google Maps Link
- Parking: Dedicated sheltered parking for two-wheelers, no dedicated parking for cars (one needs to find a spot on the road or other bylanes)
- Payment: Cash and Cards only (no wallet or UPI method of payment is accepted)
- Wheelchair Friendly: No (the restaurant is a few steps above the ground floor – there is no ramp to take up a wheelchair)
Delicious food, quick service and affordable Andhra food makes Hotel Annapoorna, a must-try non-veg Andhra restaurant around Majestic-Gandhinagar.