Hikkaduwa, a small seaside town about 100 kms from Colombo is popular among tourists for surfing, nightlife and the beach lined-up with numerous bars and restaurants. Thronged frequently by the locals and tourists is Moonlight Restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner along with beer, ice teas, fresh fruit juices and coffees (hot & cold).
While the menu boasts of cuisines across the globe and the portions are enormous – it is their Srilankan Rice and Curry, loaded with flavor and spices which appealed to our Indian palate 😋
A typical Sri Lankan Rice and Curry served here consists of a massive portion of locally grown white rice along with coconut sambol (freshly grated coconut, red chilli flakes along with a huge squeeze of lemon juice), yellow dal, lots of crispy papadams, assortment of curries such as sautéed egg-plant curry, spicy fried potato with red chilli flakes, spinach-based curry along with a fish/chicken curry.
Another delicious dish was the crab and prawn curry (ordered separately & not part of the Rice and curry combo) – that flavor of the curry, along with the white rice deserves a standing ovation to the chef at the restaurant.
- Food portions are enormous – even a single bowl of pastas or noodles is good to fill-up 2 adults
- If spicy food isn’t your thing – inform the staff during the order, they would tone down the spice-levels
- Parking: no dedicated parking for motorcycles or cars (highly recommend walking to build an appetite!!)
- The main course, starters and drinks were delicious, while the desserts were ok and can be avoided (Pro-tip: after the meal, walk across to a grocery store and gorge on some chocolates or an ice-cream)
- Payment: Cash only (LKR or USD) – no credit or debit cards are accepted (Tip: lots of ATMs around to withdraw cash)
- Timings: Open all the days of the week (10:30 am to 11 pm local time)
- Quick service and friendly staff
- Compliment the meal with bottle of refreshing non-alcoholic ginger beer!!
- Sri Lankan Specials on the menu – served with a portion of white rice
- There is no separate smoking/non-smoking section – so most of the patrons smoke at the table
- They do have options for vegetarians and vegans – but their signature dishes are primarily chicken/fish/prawn/crab-based
A combination of delicious food, sea-breeze, great service and a reasonable ambiance makes Moonlight Restaurant a must-visit restaurant in Hikkaduwa for sea-food lovers.
Leave a Reply