The presence of Marathas in Bengaluru back in the 16th century made a lasting impact on the cuisine of our city in the form of ‘Militry aka Military Hotels’ – which became the meat-fix places for the soldiers of the yester years and foodies since.
Maratha Darshan serves Mahrashtrian cuisine, with a significant infusion of the local flavor. From humble beginnings of serving food from an auto-rickshaw near Cubbon Park, Maratha Darshan, at its present location was started by G R Shanthraj in 1989. They serve a ‘LUNCH-only’ menu comprising mainly of meals aka thali – served with mutton & chicken dishes (semi-gravy-based).
A typical thali comprises of white rice, gravy, rasam, single ragi mudde or 2 chapatis (choice of either), chicken/mutton dish opted for along with chopped onions and slice of lemon.
While mutton-based thalis are the most popular – chili chicken meals, chicken fry and chicken 65 are an absolute must-try & my personal favorites, washed down with a nice cup of buttermilk.
- They don’t have a fixed menu nor is it displayed in the hotel – feel free to ask the cashier or patrons
- Special Food: Biryani rice is served only on a Sunday + they do serve akki rotis only in the morning which can be paired with any of the meat-dishes (recommend to check availability)
- Expect a very basic but clean ambiance, quick service
- Pre-paid Self service with standing tables to eat (akin to a South Indian darshini) + limited seating arrangements upstairs
- Try to reach By 12 pm – 12:30 pm to relish the full menu – since the popular dishes such as chicken 65, chili chicken etc are cooked in a limited quantity and mostly get over by 1 pm- 1:15 pm ish
- Avoid the temptation to order a soft drink – opt for the buttermilk ( refreshing and tasty)
- Parking: no dedicated parking – 2-wheelers will find a place ( don’t take your car – hail a cab for the blissful nap after the delicious meal 😛 )
- Mode of payment: cash and cards
- Timings: 9 am to 11 am & 12 pm to 4 pm (Tuesday to Sunday) – Monday holiday
- Location: 4 Queens Rd, Behind Shifa Hospital, Bengaluru Google Maps link
- For the motorcyclist– find the 1st table at the entrance to glance at the gorgeous lineup of premium motorcycles in the showroom opposite Maratha Darshan 😁
Delicious non-vegetarian meals, no-frill ambiance and a happy to serve smiling faces make Maratha Darshan – a true old-Bangalore experience.
Leave a Reply