For an average Indian motorcyclist who thrives on commuting and touring, avenues to experience dirt riding on a proper off-road motorcycle or a dirt bike didn’t exist, until a certain C.S Santosh opened Big Rock Motopark in 2013.
Big Rock Motopark is a one of a kind off-road riding training facility at Shapur near Kolar – that is spread across a 45-acre operational farm with a mini-forest, a poultry-farm, vast spaces of dirt trails and a proper off road track.
Off Road Training Programs:
Although they coach professional off-road riders to compete in Indian and International off-road races, their Moto Day programs are aimed to cater the dirt-dreams of enthusiasts. Beginners/Enthusiasts can choose from either a half-day (4-hour) or a full-day (8-hour) training program.
The half-day program has 2 slots to choose from:
- 8 am to 12 pm (breakfast will be provided)
- 1 pm to 5 pm (lunch will be provided).
Useful Information on Big Rock Motopark:
- How to book:
- Contact Information: Reach out to Mr. Nilesh (+919945011116) or Mr. Joshua (+919945205508) to book a slot for the off road program [PS: Don’t reach out to the number on Google – it’s an incorrect number]
- Expect to follow-up a couple of times, since these guys are full-time professional riders & not available throughout to attend phone calls to take a booking – so be patient!
- Advance Booking of 1 week is sufficient
- When to do:
- Avoid taking up the program during summer – way too hot to ride!
- The Motopark may close during rains – feel free to call Nilesh/Joshua to check the availability
- A minimum of 3 persons are required to book a batch and maximum of 6 per batch (since they only have 6 motorcycles)
- Motorcycles they provide for the training: Honda CRF 230 dirt bikes
- Cost per rider: INR 6,000 (for half day) and INR 10,000 (for full day)
- Fees to be paid in Cash at the venue or via online transfer – no card payment or PayTM payment is accepted
- Complete Riding Gear such as helmet, riding gloves, riding armor (upper & lower), riding overalls (upper & lower), riding boots and dirt googles would be provided by Big Rock Motopark [people with waist size > 36, better to get a pair of jeans upon which the knee armor can be worn]
- Carry hydrating drink/powder with essential salts (electoral, Gatorade etc.)
- Location: Shapur, Karnataka Google Maps Link
Course Structure for Beginner/Enthusiast for the Off Road Riding Program:
The course has three main components:
- Safety Briefing & Theory: Introduction to Dirt Bikes, Basics & Rider Body Posture, Motorcycle geometry – how this affects the way they need to be ridden etc.
- Off Road Track Laps: They have a proper off road track with obstacles such as jumps, ramps, berms, moguls etc – the intent is to get used to riding a dirt bike by standing-up, arms position, torque of the motorcycle, rear-wheel slides, loading the front suspension during a turn, gear changing with off-road boots etc.
Each track sessions lasts for about 15 excruciating minutes followed by a break and back to the track for more sessions
- Dirt Trails: This involves riding the forest trails within and outside the farm to tackle real-life obstacles such as downhill dirt roads, boulders, sand-bed, small-to-medium rocks etc. Dirt Trails last anywhere between 2 to 3 hrs (I was absolutely knackered and drained after this.)
Personally, in spite the horrifying realization of how unfit I am to ride a dirt bike and the immense amount of fitness and training these guys invest – I had an absolute blast with the best of my mates and thoroughly enjoyed the day at Big Rock Motopark – can’t wait to go again!!
Here is a preview of what to expect at Big Rock Motopark – Ride On!!
Video & Image Credits: Nishanth N (Follow him on YouTube and Instagram)
Leave a Reply